This friday I want to talk to you about chickpeas (a.k.a garbanzo beans). They’re loved all across the world and should have a place in everybody’s cupboards! A cup of raw chickpeas contains the following:
- Potassium: 50% RDA
- Vitamin B-6: 55% RDA
- Magnesium: 57% RDA
- Iron: 69% RDA
- Many other vitamins!
They also make a great source of protein and fiber. Chickpeas, aside from nutritional facts, have been known to give us many health benefits. It can help support our bone health, decrease the risk of heart disease, decrease the risk of cancer, prevent constipation, and many other benefits.
HOW TO INCORPORATE MORE CHICKPEAS INTO YOUR FOOD:
Chickpeas are available year round and can usually be found packaged or canned.
NOTE: When buying canned chickpeas, try to buy organic and non-BPA lined cans.
They have a nutty flavor and are delicious in pretty much anything. Their use is universal, and the dishes that can made with them ends only at how far our imaginations can go. Some examples to use them include:
- Sprinkling them raw on top of salads
- Making hummus
- Adding them to soups
- Using them for a substitute for mayonnaise or other spreads
One of my favorite ways to use them that I haven’t mentioned is roasting them. Their crunchy, delicious, and can be snacked on just like popcorn!
- One can of organic chickpeas
- 1 tbsp. oil or broth (I like to use coconut oil)
- Spices of your choice ( I like to use cayenne and turmeric )
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Drain your chickpeas and blot them dry with a paper towel.
- Toss them in your oil or broth and sprinkle on your desired spices.
- Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Roast for 30-40 minutes or until they reach your desired crunch